Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Journal 7 - Based on Field trip 5 - Downtown Fort Myers

 Due to a family vacation that was already set in place, I could not participate in this field trip. This is a complete bummer because I really liked going on field trips in this class. I am not from this area so the field trips didn't only educate me on stuff related to environmental sustainability, but it also taught me a lot about what Lee county is all about. My class had the opportunity to go to downtown Fort Myers where they made multiple stops and visits to talk about different things. 

During this trip, my class learned about how Lee county respond to environmental issues including but not limited to parks, water, walkways, and buildings. As far as water, the city governmental has to do what it can to ensure that the water quality has characteristics that won't have a negative effect on human and environmental health. Local government is responsible for adding and maintaining wastewater and stormwater treatment facilities, and for providing programs for public education. For buildings I found information that drought risk is high. About 97% of buildings in Fort Myers, FL are at risk of flooding, and the risk level for these buildings is very high. About 24% of buildings in Fort Myers, FL are at risk of wildfire, and the risk level for these buildings is significant. However, there are also buildings like Seidler Hall at FGCU that is LEED platinum because of its sustainable resources and capabilities. 

Like previously mentioned, I am super sad that I didn't get a chance to attend this field trip but I am also very grateful for all the other events I was able to go to and all the new information I learned



No comments:

Post a Comment

Journal 7 - Based on Field trip 5 - Downtown Fort Myers

 Due to a family vacation that was already set in place, I could not participate in this field trip. This is a complete bummer because I rea...